Protecting your personal information is important to the Department of Internal Affairs and the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment (referred to below as 'we', 'our', and 'us'). In this statement we explain what personal information we collect, why we collect it and what we do with it.
Information we collect
You may browse Marketplace without providing any personal information to us.
If you join Marketplace, on behalf of either an agency or a supplier, we'll ask you for some personal information (in addition to information about your organisation). The personal information we ask for includes your name, position, phone number and email address.
You may also provide us with personal information in the course of using the Marketplace website. For example, you may provide feedback to us on your use of the website that contains personal information, or you may provide personal information when seeking support.
We will collect personal information connected with your login, such as your name, username and email address, if you work for:
- a supplier and have administrative access to parts of Marketplace for that supplier (for example, to edit the supplier's services), or
- a government agency and have a role associated with your agency's purchase of goods or services through Marketplace (for example, to administer your agency’s account or approve orders for products or services).
When you're logged in to Marketplace our systems will also generate information about your use of the website.
If we need personal information but you don't wish to provide it, you may not be able to access certain areas of Marketplace and we may not be able to provide you with the assistance you would like.
Holding and protecting your information
We will hold your personal information. We will take good care of it and we have systems and processes in place to protect it.
Why we collect your information
We collect and retain the personal information outlined above to:
- enable us to identify you
- operate the Marketplace effectively
- communicate with you about your use of the Marketplace and about the goods and services available through it.
Disclosure of information
We control the disclosure of your personal information. We will not disclose it unless:
- you have authorised us to do so
- we need to do so to protect our rights or a third party’s rights
- you have been authorised by a government agency to use the Marketplace and that agency requests information on your use of the Marketplace
- we need to disclose it to our professional advisors
- we consider it necessary or desirable to do so for security reasons, or
- we are required or permitted to do so by law.
We collect non-identifying statistical information about visits to the Marketplace.
Such statistics allow us to:
- assess the number of visitors to particular sections of Marketplace
- identify the types of information that most interests our users
- monitor website system performance
- make the website more useful for you.
Cookies are small text files that are placed in your web browser by the websites you visit. They are widely used to:
- help users navigate websites efficiently
- perform certain functions on websites, and/or
- provide website owners with information about how their website is being used.
We may also use third party services that set cookies, such as Google Analytics, to gather statistical information about how the website is being used, and to temporarily store the information you enter, for example, when registering to use Marketplace or applying to join.
You can remove or block cookies (by using settings in your browser) but doing so may affect your ability to use some elements of the Marketplace website.
Accessing and correcting your information
You have the right to access any of your personal information that we hold, and to request correction of it.
To exercise these rights, or to ask us anything else about your privacy, please contact us by email or by post.
Department of Internal Affairs
Department of Internal Affairs
PO Box 805
Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
PO Box 5488
Help with privacy concerns
If you are not satisfied with our response to your privacy concerns, you can contact the Privacy Commissioner for help.